vendredi 22 mars 2019

Job Resignation Letter Advisement (the Do's and Don'ts)

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California

I'm considering resigning from a job in anticipation of new possible life changes and other career opportunities that are available to me. What are the do's and don'ts?

In researching what should be put into a resignation letter, I'm a bit conflicted about what should be written in the resignation letter in terms of why I have decided to resign in the first place? In speaking with other people when asking this very question in looking for suggestions or input, some say I should simply be honest about why I have decided to leave which includes both the good and the bad because that's honest thing to say and do.

However, in further looking into what should be said as for my cause of leaving, some suggest I completely omit any negativity from the resignation letter altogether. The reasoning is that at the point in time the resignation letter is given to the employer, it's simply too late as an employee at that point in time to make any further positive changes within the company and where there is clearly no point in sharing anything negative as to why I have decided to leave.

Also, it's been suggested that I should be as positive as possible in the resignation letter for the purpose of possible future considerations in maybe returning to the same job if things do change in future months or years within the company or within my life. In other words, they suggest that there should be nothing in written form that is negative towards the employer as that will be apart of my permanent job record and history with the company and may be used against me if I did.

Looking at it from that perspective, I could certainly see that if I say much of anything negative as I go out the door on record within a resignation letter or even in oral form that it very well may only work against me in future years. In the event that they pull my resignation letter in the future, they could use it against me upon considering future employment if what they find in it is negative in anyway towards them or the company. For example, if I returned after 2 years to consider a job opening, they may pull my resignation letter and see all the negative things I said about them as to why I decided to leave and decide then and there not re-hire me simply based on that past knowledge.

It further raises the question: if i'm not completely honest about why I'm leaving the company, which includes good or bad, then what does a person say after the resignation letter is given when asked in person? It's one thing to give a written resignation letter, but it's another thing to fulfill an additional 2 weeks of continued working thereafter the resignation letter has been given in adhering to the 2 week notice rule of thumb.

Certainly, at least I can imagine, I'm going to be peppered with a million questions as to why I've decided to leave? Upon my desire for termination of employment through providing the job resignation letter, I assume that I should thereafter remain completely positive and not bother saying anything negative? And, in the 2 weeks that follow after the resignation letter is given, I should continue to remain positive and not say or hint at anything negative as to why I'm leaving the company when directly asked orally by others when I finally walk out the door?

In being honest, I am currently in good standing with the company. They enjoy having me there and see me continuing to work there in future years as they have admitted to me. However, after being in the company so many years, I'd like to take my life in a different direction and pursue other opportunities available to me. Knowing their view of me and how things are within, I do believe it will be quite a shock that I'm leaving as I have been highly relied upon in past years.

But then again, there are some negative things too that give me enough reason to push for some change, much of which I have been vocal about in the past and given hints about. And, much of which my colleges have been vocal about in the past on my behalf too. Personally, without saying a word further, I think they could conjecture on their own as to why I decided to pull the trigger in leaving among themselves. In fact, I think my colleges will have plenty to say as to why I have decided to leave once they finally discover I have now decided to leave. Knowing this, gives me further reasons that I should just remain positive and let them make up their own stories as to why I am leaving? Is this the proper thing to do? I don't know. Some would say, "Your damned if you do and damned if you don't" :wallbang:.

However, I'm still not sure how I can pull off leaving the company and not saying anything negative especially when asked orally perhaps by many others within the company? I think I'll have to grin and bite my tongue though.

I'm trying to also curb my own expectations of how I should handle the situation when that times comes and I find myself in the middle of the chaos when I do finally give my 2 week notice through my job resignation letter? It could very well end up as 2 weeks of chaos and I need to anticipate such events if possible in advance so I keep my peace and calm within me. :confused:

Any suggestions, recommendations, or thoughts on this? Maybe even some good links for reading further to give me things to ponder about?


Job Resignation Letter Advisement (the Do's and Don'ts)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire