mercredi 20 mars 2019

Disability Benefits: SSI Date of Disability

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to complete an application for SSI online, for my 46 year old brother.

He suffered a stroke on 3/8/19, which left him paralyzed on the right side. He is currently in rehab after hospitalization for the stroke. He found out he is diabetic and has high blood pressure, while in the hospital.

Prior to the stroke, he had not worked in 10 or 11 years.

He was diagnosed with schizophrenia around 1998, I believe. He had an involuntary stay in an institution after his diagnosis.

He was on medication and managed OK until 2008, holding down full time employment. He worked an unskilled assembly job at a factory and in retail. He has no high school diploma and no specific job skills.

He lost his job and medical insurance in 2008, refused any help to get back on his medication, and lapsed back into mental illness.

He had one or two very short term involuntary hospitalizations for his mental illness afterwards. Last one was around 2010 or so.

He has always lived with our parents. Dad passed in 2005, and Mom unfortunately just passed yesterday. So getting him an income source is urgent now.

My question is regarding the date of disability onset. Should I go back to the date he first was diagnosed with schizophrenia? The date of his most recent hospitalization for mental illness? Or would it be best to use the date of his stroke?

I don't remember the specific dates of his mental illness hospitalizations. Also, the institution he was first placed in has long since closed. It was the county psych hospital, and I don't know where their records were sent.

I realize we may need the assistance of an attorney, but I thought I'd attempt to get help here first.


Disability Benefits: SSI Date of Disability

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire