vendredi 30 novembre 2018

Service and Repair: Am I Liable for This Repair

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: New York.

I had a very large riding lawn mower repaired at a garage. It needed the carburetor cleaned, and battery replaced. This is the story I was told at this point- in preparation to trailer this equipment and return it to me, it was started and left unattended while it “warmed up”. The business owner noticed that he no longer heard it running and went to investigate. He found an engine oil line had sprung a leak, from what he said was dry rot. ( This mower is 3 years old, has 20 hours on it, and has ALWAYS been garaged. He found, due to the oil drainage, that the engine had seized and now has to be replaced. He immediately changed the oil line to a metal pipe, “so this would not happen again.” He says I am responsible for the cost of this repair because it was due to the oil line failure. Really? There are so many questions here. He had the machine to find out why it wouldn’t start- lines and hoses are not inspected routinely? Why did it have to “warm up”. Why quickly replace the oil line, before I was ever even notified of the situation?

But, what are the legalities when equipment is in the custody of a repair facility?

This whole thing is just too wish-washy. I have absolutely no problem paying for repairs. But, this would never had happened if I had not taken it there. I never let a lawn mower “warm up” unattended. If.... this is truly what happened.


Service and Repair: Am I Liable for This Repair

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire