mercredi 21 novembre 2018

Rental Agreements: You're Not Going to Believe This Landlord Changes Mind a Few Days After Moved In

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Suffolk County New York (Long Island)

You really can't make this stuff up lol.

I posted about a month ago about moving into a place, I had the lease the keys and paid 1st months' rent/security and the landlord changed the locks because as she stated "I didn't see any furniture in the new place". I'm was going to sue her in small claims as soon as I got settled in my new place which I found two weeks ago. I paid rent and security in the new place. I moved in Saturday the 17th, just FOUR days ago. All was good until yesterday the 20th. My landlord called me and said she wanted me out by Thursday! (THANKSGIVING!).

Her reason? The landlord changed her mind about my dog. She KNEW about the dog all along that he is a pitbull mix. My friend is scared to death of pittbulls but she LOVES my dog. (as do others). My friend didn't even know he was a pittie until I told her. (He's more mix than pittie.. it's hard to tell).

That said, the landlord showed up today and said I have to be out by friday and she's giving me back three weeks of rent money. I spoke to a lawyer and he said a few things. He said even if the landlord didn't know about the dog she can't throw me out. That she can't just throw me out and she has to give me 30 days. A cop said that I can't even claim squatter's rights because I've only been here a week. (wouldn't squatting start after the money rant out? Meaning if the landlord gave back three weeks of rent, squatting would start on day 8?). I know cops don't always know landlord tenant law and don't like to get involved so I'm asking for clarification on that info.

I know some landlord/tenant law but this is a new/gray area for me. So I paid for a month of rent. Landlord changes mind a week in. Says she's giving my money back on Friday and I have to be out on Friday. Can I in fact be forcibly removed by police on Friday because I'm not considered a squatter (yet) or do i have to be legally evicted? Am I considered a squatter after Friday or no becaue I've only been here a week?

My only guess is the landlord's homeowner's insurance company threatened to drop her becaue of the dog and that's why she "changed her mind".

Thanks for any advice.


Rental Agreements: You're Not Going to Believe This Landlord Changes Mind a Few Days After Moved In

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire