mercredi 28 novembre 2018

Closings and Escrow: My Mortgage Company Paid the Wrong Property Taxes Out of Escrow

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Texas

I am a first time home buyer as of November 2017. At closing the previous homeowners agreed to pay the property taxes for the entire year of 2017. So I ended up not having to pay property taxes for the year of the 2017. However, I received my first Annual Escrow Account Statment Nov. 2018 and noticed a shortage on my ecrow account of over $3700 thus meaning my new 2019 monthy mortgage payment would increase about $600+ a month....YIKES!!!!

I called the mortgage company, who was not helpful and just told me to go to the tax office. I did some digging into my escrow account and discovered a disbursement of county taxes for 2017 for over $6000K (now remember, the previous home owners paid those taxes already)! So I looked at the county records and it shows that the title company we dealt with at closing, in fact, paid those taxes (as they should have). So I reached out to my lender who confirmed they also paid those property taxes for 2017 out of my escrow. They then told me, I should be contacting the county tax office because they will be the ones to reimburse the lender and than the lender will reimburse the funds back to my escrow.

All in all, my question is, does this all sound correct? I have a conventional loan type. It seems to me, the mortgage company is at fault for paying someone elses taxes when they in fact where not my taxes to be paid. Why am I the one having to go back and forth between the county and the mortgage company? Is this a comman mistake mortgage companies make? How do I aviod this from happening again?

Any information is much appreciated!

Thank you,
First Time Home Buyer :)


Closings and Escrow: My Mortgage Company Paid the Wrong Property Taxes Out of Escrow

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire