dimanche 7 juillet 2019

Trespassing: Delivering Food, I Was Attacked by a Dog. Who is in the Wrong

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

I work a volunteer job bringing food to shut-ins (a.k.a. meals-on-wheels). Last week, there was a new client on the route. When I finally found the house, there were signs out on the chain link fence: "NO TRESPASSING" and "BEWARE OF DOG" and a bungee-type chain on the gate. I opened the gate and went to the door, assuming I was expected and rang the doorbell, but no one came to the door.

If no one comes to the door withing a reasonable time, we are instructed to then try to open the door and check on the client (welfare check). I opened the door (but didn't actually go inside) about a foot and called "HELLO! HELLO!" When I did that, a boxer looking dog came bounding out and nipped me on the arm (not serious - didn't even bleed, more like a scrape), but it continued to was snarl and snap at me and jumping all over. I had to kick it the chest to get it all back inside so I could close the door. During all this, the client never replied or made their presence known. Of course, I reported it to the meal service, but being a long weekend, no one was in the office. Even when they get the message, I don't know what they can do about it. It seems to me this should all have been arranged prior to my arrival so that I would have been expected and this wouldn't have happened.

Who is the wrong party here - me for ignoring the trespassing signs when I was instructed to deliver a meal, the meal service for not insuring I was expected by the client, or the client who knew a meal was going to be delivered (or they wouldn't be on the list) and was obviously not there?


Trespassing: Delivering Food, I Was Attacked by a Dog. Who is in the Wrong

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire