samedi 6 juillet 2019

Computer Crime: Old Investigation on Computer Access

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Indiana

First, I am stupid. About 12 years ago I was volunteering at a non-profit. I sat up their web page, email addresses, and other computer related things. I left after about 2 years on good terms. At the time I had 3 email addresses in use. 1 for me, and 2 for the employees. After about a year I was cleaning up some stuff and accidently discovered that they were using the email id I had sat up for myself. And the password was still what I had left it at. I was dumb and curious and was reading the emails. Then I found one that talked about someone I worked with there and it was not a good one. I stupidly forwarded it to them anomalously. Well to make a long story short she confronted them about it the person using my email was furious. Thought they were being hacked. But meanwhile, they still never bothered to change the password or create a new email id. This went on for awhile and I did forward several emails. State Police showed up at my workplace. Investigated me about it. I admitted it to them. But told them that as far as I was concerned that was my email and no one else should have been using it anyway or if they were going to use it they should have changed the password. This was at least 2 years after I left. BTW all the email ids had the same password. State police said they would turn over to the Prosecutor if any charges would be filed. Said where I worked could be in trouble because I accessed there. THat company is no longer around. Never heard another word about it . Now 10 years later my friend said that she was going to take action against this non-profit and show them those emails. She still has on her computer. I never attempted to logon to that id after that. I am now working at a good job and can not afford both personally and professionally to have my name tied to those emails.

Question.. Could I be in trouble now, after all these years, after the prosecutor declined to file any charges? I am worried. If so, what are my options...
Thanks


Computer Crime: Old Investigation on Computer Access

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire