mardi 16 juillet 2019

Getting Fired: Disagreed with Dishonesty, Terminated

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Washington

I was hired in June by a large consulting firm as a Senior Technologist, Cloud Security. My first engagement was last week at a large client.

The manager of our group of four drove us daily from the hotel to client site as a carpool. Early on (Mon, Tue) he told us that next week he'll try the Renaissance Hotel rather than the Westin we were in. He said that if we want to move to the Renaissance too we should use the discount code 'JCP', for JC Penny he said. Well I don't know whether JC Penny is a firm client, but they certainly had nothing to do with this engagement, so I said "I don't like that." Meaning I don't like falsely using a discount code because its discount is larger than our firm's discount code. Everybody heard.

From then on he was very brusque with me. Sharp, and a little scary. As the week went on I got no assignments. On Thursday in the carpool he told us he's trying to hire eight more people but can't find qualified candidates. He said "there are lots of senior people but I don't want senior people. I'm looking for junior people, but they don't want to travel." I didn't say anything.

I've just turned 65 and he knew it. By 'senior' I don't know whether he was referring to capabilities, or age, but decided to decide that he wasn't referring to me.

He and I parted amicably at the airport and flew home Thursday. Friday I got an email from his boss saying that I was not to log any more time on that client nor do any more work for them. IOW, don't come back. I acknowledged and asked if I'd done something wrong? No response.

So I emailed my boss (who was not on that engagement), explaining all of the above. My boss is a good man and seeing a potential Equal Employment Opportunity issue, forwarded it all to HR. HR called me at 5:30am yesterday morning and asked me to describe my view of all this, and I did. She assured me it is 'no big deal'.

Then yesterday afternoon my boss set up an emergency conference call with me and HR, where he fired me. HR said that not just that manager at the engagement said I do not have the capability to perform, but also his boss (the engagement chief and a friend of the manager) said that. And I responded, "So I point out dishonesty, and -I- get fired?" She said no, it's a PERFORMANCE issue. Well my boss hired me because he'd seen and understood my prior work, and for this company I'd begun a first-of-its-kind Cloud Security Framework slidedeck which is a precise description of securing client clouds to Cloud Security Alliance's and NSA's standards. This could have been used by any of the company's consultants with minimal experience to effectively secure client systems. Since I didn't get any assignments on the engagement, I worked on this.

Anyway, that manager was spreading hate about be behind the scenes the whole time we were there, due to my complaining about his falsely recommending the discount code. And he openly said that he is not hiring senior people, in front of me and two other consultants.

Is there anything I can do about this? At my age no one is likely to ever hire me again, at least in the field where I have 22 years' high-level experience. It's easy to look up anyone's age for free on Intelius. Before this job I'd spent two years applying, getting screening calls, and never callbacks presumably because as they checked further found my age.

My boss wasn't the problem here, the engagement manager was. What am I going to do?


Getting Fired: Disagreed with Dishonesty, Terminated

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire