My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California
I struggled to think of the best place to ask this; it's not about personal property, business law, or technically consumer law as I envision its intent.
I canceled service with a satellite TV service provider. They own the on-premises equipment, which I only rented as part of the service. They sent me a letter informing me they'd arrange for its return and expected me to return all of it within seven days (from receipt of shipping boxes, labels, etc, I presume, this was unspecified). I received an envelope to send them the access card for the service, which I did. Six months passed. My wife got tired of keeping their property and called them to see when they were going to arrange for its removal. We received another envelope for the access card we had already returned. Now quite a bit over a year has passed form the service cancellation with no further communication from them. And that's pretty much it. I'd like to dispose of this equipment I keep in deposit for them.
Here's my thoughts on the matter... I should have refused to return the access card, since that's clearly their only priority. I should have demanded they retrieve ALL their equipment, not cherry pick and leave me stranded with the rest. I should sent them a letter letting them know their property won't fit in the envelope provided, and the postage is inadequate.
Most people would just dispose of it, and I suspect I could do that. But I don't want them to be able to show up one day demanding some inflated replacement cost. Who knows which way their wheels turn.
I'm an involuntary depositor. I never agreed to keep their property in trust.
Because they sent me a letter requesting the return of their property I assume it's not unclaimed per se, but after a year as an involuntary depositor, is that sufficient to dispose of it?
If I send them a certified letter letting them know unless they arrange otherwise I will dispose of their property seven days after their receipt of the letter, is that sufficient if I don't hear back? What if they send me another access card envelope?
I can think of more enjoyable ways to spend my free time than running errands for a major corporation, bringing their stuff to electronics recycler and paying a disposal fee on their behalf. Can I hire someone to come remove it and dispose of it, and invoice the service provider for the cost? I guess it might be $150 or something - labor, transportation, etc.
:grumpy:
I struggled to think of the best place to ask this; it's not about personal property, business law, or technically consumer law as I envision its intent.
I canceled service with a satellite TV service provider. They own the on-premises equipment, which I only rented as part of the service. They sent me a letter informing me they'd arrange for its return and expected me to return all of it within seven days (from receipt of shipping boxes, labels, etc, I presume, this was unspecified). I received an envelope to send them the access card for the service, which I did. Six months passed. My wife got tired of keeping their property and called them to see when they were going to arrange for its removal. We received another envelope for the access card we had already returned. Now quite a bit over a year has passed form the service cancellation with no further communication from them. And that's pretty much it. I'd like to dispose of this equipment I keep in deposit for them.
Here's my thoughts on the matter... I should have refused to return the access card, since that's clearly their only priority. I should have demanded they retrieve ALL their equipment, not cherry pick and leave me stranded with the rest. I should sent them a letter letting them know their property won't fit in the envelope provided, and the postage is inadequate.
Most people would just dispose of it, and I suspect I could do that. But I don't want them to be able to show up one day demanding some inflated replacement cost. Who knows which way their wheels turn.
I'm an involuntary depositor. I never agreed to keep their property in trust.
Because they sent me a letter requesting the return of their property I assume it's not unclaimed per se, but after a year as an involuntary depositor, is that sufficient to dispose of it?
If I send them a certified letter letting them know unless they arrange otherwise I will dispose of their property seven days after their receipt of the letter, is that sufficient if I don't hear back? What if they send me another access card envelope?
I can think of more enjoyable ways to spend my free time than running errands for a major corporation, bringing their stuff to electronics recycler and paying a disposal fee on their behalf. Can I hire someone to come remove it and dispose of it, and invoice the service provider for the cost? I guess it might be $150 or something - labor, transportation, etc.
:grumpy:
Service Providers: Service Provider's Abandoned and Unclaimed Property
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire