mardi 17 avril 2018

Police Conduct: Rights and Procedure During Police-Citizen Encounters

My question involves police conduct in the State of Massachusetts.

I am trying to learn about my rights during police-citizen encounters. I understand this is a lot, s please answer as much as you can briefly.

1) What (generally) are the types of police-citizen encounters and what information / documentation am I legally obligated to provide during each type of encounter?

2) If I assert my right to remain silent, assert my right to counsel, and ask "am I free to go":

A) Does this always stop questioning?

B) How long can I be held during each type of encounter?

C) Can the presentation of anxiety or panic in myself be used to continue to hold me or continue questioning after I have asserted my rights?

3) Are there any situations where my right to remain silent and my right to counsel will not be upheld during a police encounter (such as at a highway checkpoint or if I am approached by an officer as a witness to a crime)? Under the law, can asserting my rights in these situations make me look suspicious?

4) If I want to refute / appeal a vehicle moving violation, is there anything I should do or say during the traffic stop encounter with the officer?

5) Am I ever obligated to allow a police officer to search myself, my vehicle, or my home without a warrant?

6) What types of stress inducing psychological tactics are the police allowed to engage in and where is the line that they cannot cross?

Thank you


Police Conduct: Rights and Procedure During Police-Citizen Encounters

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire