mardi 17 avril 2018

Eviction Process: Temporary Tenant, What Laws Cover Them if Any

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York, specifically suffolk county long island (I know NYC is diff. from NYS).

My aunt had to move at a moment's notice because the house her apt. was in was foreclosed and the owners were evicted. My aunt had no idea the house was in foreclosure. She is temporarily
living with my mother and brother in my mother's apartment. (which is also in a house). She has been there about 6 weeks now. She is obviously not on the lease and does not get mail there.


I know tenants cannot be thrown on the street. However my aunt isn't technically a tenant. I'm not looking to take advantage but my aunt would truly be homeless if she had to leave. It's not even her
being choosy about a place. What she can afford and what's out there are two different things. She's retired and lives on a fixed income and almost every place I ask to drop the rent a couple hundred
they say no.

I'm assuming the owners can all the police and the police can ask her to leave since she technically isn't a tenant but are the any other rights she has. The owner has taken no money from her. I think
my aunt offered some. (If I remember correctly someone accepting money constitutes some sort of oral lease?).

Please educate me on this. I know about eviction law but only for tenants. not for "not technically tenants". lol. I'll supply any more info if needed. Thanks.


edit: I just read about squatter's rights. I didn't know she would be covered under that. Is this true then? I just want to make sure that if she's not actually out by the end of the week (because the four people I messaged today read my messages but didn't respond. SHM), like they say she has to be, that I can use the law for my argument. I don't want want to look like as ass. lol. I have no problem showing the owners all the fb messages I've been sending and all the responses I'm not getting. It's not like we're not looking. I just need backup if this guy tries to throw her on the street. (and I hope the cops would know this too and refer him to court).


Eviction Process: Temporary Tenant, What Laws Cover Them if Any

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire