mercredi 19 octobre 2016

Breaking a Lease: Can You Break a Lease Due to Structural Damage or Mold After a Flood

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Virginia

11 days ago, my apartment flooded when Hurricane Matthrew hit Virginia Beach, VA. My apartment had 1-4 inches of standing water in nearly every single room, kitchen/dining and bathrooms included. The day after the flood, my complex had crews over to start the drying process. The drying crew left fans and dehumidifiers in each room. They didn't remove the carpet until we moved all of the things, no big deal. Two-three days later, they came in to remove the carpet and parts of the wall. Now, 11 days later, the carpet still hasn't been replaced due to places in my apartment still being wet. I am aware this is at no fault of the complex because they are trying but I have indeed lost furniture and hundreds of dollars due to water damage. Of course, I have rental insurance but they will not cover my personal belongings because they say that my apartment building has structural damage and it is now management's issue. Management told me it is untrue and to lie to my rental insurance and tell them that an apartment's toilet overflew and that is the case of the flooding in my apartment. My insurance company insists that there is damage to the structure. I'm unsure what to believe, at this point I just want OUT! I'm unsure what to do at this point, my lease is up in two months and I could stay but I have found mold in my apartment already and I found cracks in the foundation that I saw only after they pulled the carpet up, which may not be anything, but what do I know. I have photos, videos, and have documented times and visits from crews. I just want any information possible. My family is already sick and I feel I have pneumonia due to mold. If I can prove I have mold poisoning(testing by doctor) will I be able to break my lease?


Breaking a Lease: Can You Break a Lease Due to Structural Damage or Mold After a Flood

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire