mercredi 2 mars 2016

Suspension and Revocation: I Drove Under Suspension, but the Suspension Was Incorrect

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Virginia

So here's the deal.
I'm new to car ownership and the ins and outs of DMV and such. I bought my first car off the side of the road for $1100; a few months later, the transmission died, and I sold it to a small auto clinic for parts.
I did have insurance on this vehicle from the time I bought it to the time I sold it. But no one told me that I had to go to DMV and let them know that it'd been sold. I was living out of my parents' house at the time, and I guess people just assumed that I knew - but how am I supposed to know something if I'm not told? I thought the buyer would have gone to DMV and taken care of things, if it even mattered, which I didn't think it would since the car was dead...
Anyway, this was in 2014. Now, in Spring 2015, long after it'd been sold, the DMV did an insurance check and suspended my license because I no longer had insurance on this car that I did not own. I never received a notification of suspension, so I had no idea.

Fast forward to a month or so ago. I got pulled over for expired registration & inspection, in my new vehicle, which I co-own with a much older man who used to be my employer, who would have received a notice since his address was the one on the title, and should have notified me. I don't pay much attention to my car. I'm either rushing to or from work every time I'm in it. So I didn't notice.
Anyway, he found out my license was suspended, and informed me. I'd had no idea so he didn't give me a ticket, just a notification of suspension.

Now, I only have one job right now, and I recently got cheated out of some money by my previous employer, which is neither here nor there at the moment, so I have zero money. I have to go to work every chance I get, which isn't much.

A few days later, I got pulled over for driving with my headlights off (the roads were very well-lit, and I had had such a horribly stressful day, so I had no clue I'd forgotten to turn them on). The officer gave me a ticket for driving under suspension - 1st offense. I'd had no other way to get to work that day, and as previously stated, have no money and therefore couldn't miss work. The reason I hadn't gotten my license reinstated was simply because I hadn't had time. I'd been working during DMV hours for the past few days.

After this, I got my inspection done, and then got my license reinstated, and got my registration renewed, which was a whole bunch of money I didn't have, that should have gone to my car bill.

So my questions are: how much trouble will I be in for driving under suspension? Can I expect to be given a say in the matter, tell my side of the story? Will they be lenient since this is my first offense (besides a couple speeding tickets)?

Please answer quickly. My court date is next week.


Suspension and Revocation: I Drove Under Suspension, but the Suspension Was Incorrect

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire