My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California
My boyfriend and I live in an income based apartment complex that is funded by the rural development agency and receives state tax credits. The complex is owned by a property management company located in Illinois. In 2015 we received 10 inspections within a 5 month period, the last of which occurred at the end of July. During that inspection the manager at the time took pictures of our apartment showing that it was in compliance with their standards. In December we received another notice of intent to enter our unit for an inspection. The on-site management changes frequently here and we had a different manager than we had during the last round of inspections so we informed the new manager that we had already had our annual inspection for the year. She was adamant about doing the inspection stating that they could come in whenever they wanted to. The day of the inspection we waited all day outside our unit to confront her and tell her she was not allowed to enter. She showed up 3 hours later than the time stated on the 24 hour intent to enter notice with her daughter (not an employee of the property management) and another lady that did not identify herself as an employee of the company. We told them that we did not want them to enter our unit and after a short exchange of them trying to tell us that they were going in regardless and us saying no they left. We received a 3 day notice to perform covenant or quit that did not specify what we were supposed to do to comply. On the third day we went to the office to ask what we were to supposed to do to comply. The manager noticed a typo on the form and stated again that they were going to come into our unit either way. Nothing else came of that situation and that manager was fired soon after not as a result of our doing. A week ago all tenants got a notice informing us of the new manager starting the job. Yesterday we received an inspection notice for the following day. The office was closed by the I got the notice so I typed up a letter letting them know that we had an inspection in July of last year during which photos were taken and that they did not need to do another annual inspection until July of this year. I also stated that considering the amount of inspections that we had been subjected to during the last year, that another one before July would be violating our right to privacy as well as our right to quiet enjoyment of our dwelling place. I also included that we would appreciate if the management would stop singling us out from the other tenants like that. I dropped a copy of the letter in the door slot of the office as well as posted it on our door. The manager showed up today, knocked and without hesitation unlocked the door and tried to enter our unit. There is a secondary locking device on our door that was installed before we moved in which prevents entry but can only be engaged from inside the unit. We had this locked as well because we have been trying to get over the flu and were in bed resting. We woke up to the noise of someone trying to open the door but they were not there when we opened it and the letters posted were still on door. An hour or so later the maintenance man delivered a lease violation stating that our unit was to have a follow up inspection per management orders dated in December (this was the inspection described above). It stated that we did not comply with the house rules by first refusing management entry and second by altering the door lock. All that being said I feel as if we are being harassed by the management and I don't know what I should do. Any help is greatly appreciated and I apologize for the lengthy post. Thank you in advance!
My boyfriend and I live in an income based apartment complex that is funded by the rural development agency and receives state tax credits. The complex is owned by a property management company located in Illinois. In 2015 we received 10 inspections within a 5 month period, the last of which occurred at the end of July. During that inspection the manager at the time took pictures of our apartment showing that it was in compliance with their standards. In December we received another notice of intent to enter our unit for an inspection. The on-site management changes frequently here and we had a different manager than we had during the last round of inspections so we informed the new manager that we had already had our annual inspection for the year. She was adamant about doing the inspection stating that they could come in whenever they wanted to. The day of the inspection we waited all day outside our unit to confront her and tell her she was not allowed to enter. She showed up 3 hours later than the time stated on the 24 hour intent to enter notice with her daughter (not an employee of the property management) and another lady that did not identify herself as an employee of the company. We told them that we did not want them to enter our unit and after a short exchange of them trying to tell us that they were going in regardless and us saying no they left. We received a 3 day notice to perform covenant or quit that did not specify what we were supposed to do to comply. On the third day we went to the office to ask what we were to supposed to do to comply. The manager noticed a typo on the form and stated again that they were going to come into our unit either way. Nothing else came of that situation and that manager was fired soon after not as a result of our doing. A week ago all tenants got a notice informing us of the new manager starting the job. Yesterday we received an inspection notice for the following day. The office was closed by the I got the notice so I typed up a letter letting them know that we had an inspection in July of last year during which photos were taken and that they did not need to do another annual inspection until July of this year. I also stated that considering the amount of inspections that we had been subjected to during the last year, that another one before July would be violating our right to privacy as well as our right to quiet enjoyment of our dwelling place. I also included that we would appreciate if the management would stop singling us out from the other tenants like that. I dropped a copy of the letter in the door slot of the office as well as posted it on our door. The manager showed up today, knocked and without hesitation unlocked the door and tried to enter our unit. There is a secondary locking device on our door that was installed before we moved in which prevents entry but can only be engaged from inside the unit. We had this locked as well because we have been trying to get over the flu and were in bed resting. We woke up to the noise of someone trying to open the door but they were not there when we opened it and the letters posted were still on door. An hour or so later the maintenance man delivered a lease violation stating that our unit was to have a follow up inspection per management orders dated in December (this was the inspection described above). It stated that we did not comply with the house rules by first refusing management entry and second by altering the door lock. All that being said I feel as if we are being harassed by the management and I don't know what I should do. Any help is greatly appreciated and I apologize for the lengthy post. Thank you in advance!
Quiet Enjoyment: Am I Being Harassed What Should I Do
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire