My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Ohio
Please help, I'm not sure what to do about a car stolen from a Mechanic's lot.
I moved from one town to another two hours away. I had a classic vehicle with low mileage that I wanted to get running so I could sell to upgrade my current vehicle and pay off a few bills. The car only needed a few minor repairs but was: Not running, did not have current plates, was not insured. I had the car taken to a shop in the old town. I still work in the old town and planned to get the car insured and put plates on it so I could park the car at my Mother's house not far away and put up for sale the following Wednesday when I was back to work.
I had the car picked up and dropped off at a Shop on a Thursday. The Shop called me the following Monday morning and asked if I had taken the car over the weekend. Being two hours away, of course I hadn't. They called back and told me they had two people on camera Sunday night stealing the car. I'm not sure how they broke in or how they were able to get the car running. The Shop still had the keys and advised me to call the Police, make a stolen vehicle report, and that the Detective could view the video if they'd like to. I called the Police Department a few times, but was not able to get through in a timely manner and had a lot to take care of with the move. I was not able to make the report until I was back to work on Wednesday morning.
I am not sure where to proceed from here as the car was not currently insured nor did it have current plates. I had renters insurance prior as the car was parked in a garage securely without a battery. I canceled the renters insurance the day after the car was towed. The Shop pretty much just said sorry and call the Police. I wanted to make sure everything is taken care of in the correct time frame. Should I try to settle with the shop first, contact a lawyer, or am I just SOL unless the car turns up?
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Please help, I'm not sure what to do about a car stolen from a Mechanic's lot.
I moved from one town to another two hours away. I had a classic vehicle with low mileage that I wanted to get running so I could sell to upgrade my current vehicle and pay off a few bills. The car only needed a few minor repairs but was: Not running, did not have current plates, was not insured. I had the car taken to a shop in the old town. I still work in the old town and planned to get the car insured and put plates on it so I could park the car at my Mother's house not far away and put up for sale the following Wednesday when I was back to work.
I had the car picked up and dropped off at a Shop on a Thursday. The Shop called me the following Monday morning and asked if I had taken the car over the weekend. Being two hours away, of course I hadn't. They called back and told me they had two people on camera Sunday night stealing the car. I'm not sure how they broke in or how they were able to get the car running. The Shop still had the keys and advised me to call the Police, make a stolen vehicle report, and that the Detective could view the video if they'd like to. I called the Police Department a few times, but was not able to get through in a timely manner and had a lot to take care of with the move. I was not able to make the report until I was back to work on Wednesday morning.
I am not sure where to proceed from here as the car was not currently insured nor did it have current plates. I had renters insurance prior as the car was parked in a garage securely without a battery. I canceled the renters insurance the day after the car was towed. The Shop pretty much just said sorry and call the Police. I wanted to make sure everything is taken care of in the correct time frame. Should I try to settle with the shop first, contact a lawyer, or am I just SOL unless the car turns up?
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Service and Repair: Car Stolen from Outside Mechanic Shop, Who is Liable/Possible Compensation
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire