mercredi 20 septembre 2017

Disputing Debts: Collection Agency Didn't Give 30 Days Notice

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: IL and PA

Hello,

I live in IL, and I have credit monitoring. I was notified about 3 months ago via the monitoring service that there was collection activity on my credit from a debt back from 2012. Investigating it, I found that some collection agency from PA had put collection notices on my credit.

The first I got wind of this was the notice through credit reporting. I said - wait a minute - if debt collectors go after you, don't they have to send you a letter and then give you 30 days, per law, to dispute the debt, BEFORE they start any collection activities? I had never gotten anything!

So I called up this agency, and they said, ok, we'll send you your 30 day letter, which I then after the fact received. However, I submitted a complaint to the PA Attorney General stating that they had started collections without sending me my 30 day letter.

So this collection agency replied to the PA Attorney General stating that when I contact them, at that moment they ceased collection activity and took the debt off my credit reports, gave me my 30 days, then resumed collection activity, and thus were in full compliance with the law.

So, the way I see it, they never sent the 30 day letter, I called them out on it, so then they just send the 30 day letter at that time and pretend nothing bad happened. Didn't the collection agency violate some law here? I mean if you are legally required to do something and don't do it, then someone calls you out on it, you can't be like "my bad, I'll just do it now" - you're still in violation of the law!

So now I have an opportunity to respond to the PA Attorney General. I want to stick it to this debt collection agency. What can I do?


Disputing Debts: Collection Agency Didn't Give 30 Days Notice

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire