mercredi 19 avril 2017

Traffic Court Issues: Writing a Statement for Traffic Infraction

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Hawaii

I wanted someone to review my statement to contest my traffic infraction.
Context: I was pulled over on April 17, 2017 for speeding in a downgrade on my way home from my commute to college 70 miles away. I was clocked at 76 mph in a 60 mph zone HRS 291C-102(a). I am attempting to dismiss the other two offences which is section 286-116a no insurance card on person, and section 286-116e registered owner to permit uninsured motor vehicle. I did have insurance at the time however the card I had in my car, which is the same policy number, expired the month before without my knowledge, and I did not have the current one on hand other than a digital copy on my phone which I had forgotten at the time due to nervousness as it was the first time I was pulled over.

As a note to those unfamiliar with highway 200, Daniel K. Inouye Highway, the road crossing from Kona to Hilo is very wide (two lanes uphill, and one downhill lane) and steep, traffic is widely spaced and it is easy to pick up speed without notice.

I have written my statement omitting any identifying information and would like to have it reviewed before it is sent along with any advice.

Dear Honorable Judge,

My name is [Full name] ,operator licence number [Licence #]. I received a traffic citation on Highway 200 for section HRS 291C-102a exceeding the speed limit, section 286-116a having no insurance card on person, and 286-116e registered owner to permit uninsured motor vehicle. The citation number is [citation].

I was pulled over on April 17, 2017 for speeding on a downward slope on the westward side of Highway 200. At the time of the citation it was a full sunny day with little to no traffic and after setting my vehicle to cruise control I continued down the road where it continued to pick up speed, I was clocked at 76 mph in a 60 mph zone. When I saw the officer I immediately pulled over and retrieved the requested items when I realized the insurance card I had on hand was not the most current one and had expired the month before.

I am insured by [insurer] policy number [Policy], I was originally given a card that was valid from 02/17/17 till 03/19/17, and was later emailed a card that is valid from 02/17/17 till 08/17/17. Both cards are under the same policy number. I was unaware that the card I had on person, which I handed to the officer, was not the most updated one until I {pulled it out to hand to him} (*please offer different wording*) and immediately replaced the expired card the moment I got home after the citation. This is the first ticket I have received in 4 years of driving and in the moment I did not think to pull up the insurance card on my phone where I also have a copy saved.

I am currently enrolled as a student at University of Hawaii at Hilo and work 4 days a week at [work] in Kona {where I live} (*should I include this*) to pay for the expenses of my car, my 140 mile round trip commute from school to my work, and college tuition. I can’t afford the cost of the fine as well as increased insurance rates.

{I have enclosed a copy of my current insurance card as well as the expired card, proof of insurance, and proof of insured driver.} (*Should I have this in the letter*)

I am requesting that you reduce my fine or any additional penalties. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
[Name]


Traffic Court Issues: Writing a Statement for Traffic Infraction

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire