My question involves insurance law for: The United Kingdom
I had fully comprehensive insurance on my car and although I had an accident and the car was scrapped I continued paying the insurance because I thought that the third party insurance cover (to drive other cars) would still exist. I was recently pulled over by a police office and was told that because the car had been scrapped, technically (although I was paying it) the police didn't exist. The office took the car to the pound and told me that I would get the 6 penalty points and a £300 fine.
About a month ago I called a solicitor that was an expert in this field (I can't remember who it was) to discuss and for them to represent me when I went to court to dispute this. I was told that in 9 cases out of 10 such as this because the agreement is between me and the insurance company (they didn't know the car had been scrapped), technically I was covered and the police officer can't affect that agreement. The solicitor went on to explain that unless the insurance company had terms and conditions that specifically stated that the policy was cancelled after the car was scrapped, I was legally covered.
The solicitor said in the worst case scenario (if the insurance company did exclude this in their terms and conditions) that if I could prove that I thought I was covered at the, I still have a case to appeal the punishment (obviously I thought I was covered or I wouldn't have kept paying).
If anyone could help and advise me on my issue, I would be very grateful.
Best Regards,
Tom
I had fully comprehensive insurance on my car and although I had an accident and the car was scrapped I continued paying the insurance because I thought that the third party insurance cover (to drive other cars) would still exist. I was recently pulled over by a police office and was told that because the car had been scrapped, technically (although I was paying it) the police didn't exist. The office took the car to the pound and told me that I would get the 6 penalty points and a £300 fine.
About a month ago I called a solicitor that was an expert in this field (I can't remember who it was) to discuss and for them to represent me when I went to court to dispute this. I was told that in 9 cases out of 10 such as this because the agreement is between me and the insurance company (they didn't know the car had been scrapped), technically I was covered and the police officer can't affect that agreement. The solicitor went on to explain that unless the insurance company had terms and conditions that specifically stated that the policy was cancelled after the car was scrapped, I was legally covered.
The solicitor said in the worst case scenario (if the insurance company did exclude this in their terms and conditions) that if I could prove that I thought I was covered at the, I still have a case to appeal the punishment (obviously I thought I was covered or I wouldn't have kept paying).
If anyone could help and advise me on my issue, I would be very grateful.
Best Regards,
Tom
Auto Insurance: Car Insurance Law
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire