My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Idaho
Hi,
I got pulled over recently for allegedly doing 71 in a 45. I would like to fight the ticket but I have zero experience doing that and am wondering if I am on the right track here. I know a judge does not want to hear "I wasn't speeding", so am wondering if my defense is worth my time. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
First, the ticket has two dates on it. One is the date I was pulled over, and it is correct. The other is the officer's certification, and it is dated four days prior to the infraction. So either he certified this ticket four days early, or he made a mistake. I'm sure it was the latter, so I feel it is worth pointing out because if he makes a mistake on the date he could surely make a mistake on my speed.
As for my defense, my argument is that would have been impossible for me to be doing that speed in that particular location. I was approaching an intersection with a car in front of me and we were approaching a stop sign. Cross traffic does not stop and there was plenty of traffic flowing on that road. The cop turned off of that street and we passed each other on the road I was traveling. He turned around and pulled me over.
He asked me what the posted speed limit was and I told him I believed it was 35. He said it is actually 45 and that I was doing 71. I asked him how he determined that and whether or not he used radar. He said he did and that his radar "works forward, backward and sideways" (he was not a friendly guy and quite defensive to my question). But I thought it was an odd answer, and I do genuinely wonder if he caught another car. It seems far more likely that he would have picked up a speeder on the street he had just turned off of since they do not have to stop while I was coming to a stop at a stop sign.
It didn't take him long to give me the ticket, but he did manage to tell me five different times that I would not be going to court. He even handed me a paper that explained what to do with the ticket, and he circled the part that showed how to plead guilty and pay for it and crossed out the section that explained how to please not guilty. Now, I understand that a judge probably doesn't care if a cop is a jerk, but his insistence that I not fight the ticket is a big reason I decided I should.
I don't know how to fight radar or what to question to find a possible technicality. Or maybe the wrong date is a technicality that would work? Thanks for any thoughts and feedback on this one!
Hi,
I got pulled over recently for allegedly doing 71 in a 45. I would like to fight the ticket but I have zero experience doing that and am wondering if I am on the right track here. I know a judge does not want to hear "I wasn't speeding", so am wondering if my defense is worth my time. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
First, the ticket has two dates on it. One is the date I was pulled over, and it is correct. The other is the officer's certification, and it is dated four days prior to the infraction. So either he certified this ticket four days early, or he made a mistake. I'm sure it was the latter, so I feel it is worth pointing out because if he makes a mistake on the date he could surely make a mistake on my speed.
As for my defense, my argument is that would have been impossible for me to be doing that speed in that particular location. I was approaching an intersection with a car in front of me and we were approaching a stop sign. Cross traffic does not stop and there was plenty of traffic flowing on that road. The cop turned off of that street and we passed each other on the road I was traveling. He turned around and pulled me over.
He asked me what the posted speed limit was and I told him I believed it was 35. He said it is actually 45 and that I was doing 71. I asked him how he determined that and whether or not he used radar. He said he did and that his radar "works forward, backward and sideways" (he was not a friendly guy and quite defensive to my question). But I thought it was an odd answer, and I do genuinely wonder if he caught another car. It seems far more likely that he would have picked up a speeder on the street he had just turned off of since they do not have to stop while I was coming to a stop at a stop sign.
It didn't take him long to give me the ticket, but he did manage to tell me five different times that I would not be going to court. He even handed me a paper that explained what to do with the ticket, and he circled the part that showed how to plead guilty and pay for it and crossed out the section that explained how to please not guilty. Now, I understand that a judge probably doesn't care if a cop is a jerk, but his insistence that I not fight the ticket is a big reason I decided I should.
I don't know how to fight radar or what to question to find a possible technicality. Or maybe the wrong date is a technicality that would work? Thanks for any thoughts and feedback on this one!
Speeding Tickets: Feedback on My Defense Would Be Aprpecaited - Ticketed in Idaho
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire