mardi 24 mai 2016

Disability and Elder Law Issues: Handicap Tow Attempt - Forced to Pay when Offered to Show Placard Before Car Hook

My question involves a person located in the state of: Florida

I was parked in the Handicap spot nearest my apartment but forgot to place the Placard. I also backed into the spot which I found out is against condo HOA rules. My neighbor ran to inform me my car was going to get a boot. I went to my car BEFORE the car was hooked up and asked the driver what he was doing. The tow driver stated no Placard and I explained it was in the car. He then said he was called by HOA and met at parking entry to point out my car. He handed me a notice which stated IF I continued to park backed in, I would be towed. I received no notice prior to this and generally do not back in. He told me to contact them as I begged him not to tow me and he set to work.

I retrieved my phone and attempted calls to the HOA as he continued to hook up my car. Once it was hooked, he then stated I could pay him $71 to drop it. This seems outrageous as I was standing there prior to him hooking it up and offering to place the placard. I paid the fee to avoid the tow and immediately went to DMV for the Handicap Plate which I had been avoiding as a single woman not wanting to display my status in dangerous areas.

Is this legal? Should the Driver have NOT hooked up my car once I offered to place the Placard? If not, can I get the fee refunded from the tow company or HOA?

Thank You!


Disability and Elder Law Issues: Handicap Tow Attempt - Forced to Pay when Offered to Show Placard Before Car Hook

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire