My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Texas/Georgia
I was in the military form 2008-2012. My home of residence has always been Texas. While stationed at Fort Stewart, Georgia I entered a phone contract with Alltel. A few months later I was placed on orders to move to Germany for two years. At this point, I had completed 7 months of my two year phone contract. I took my orders to my the local Alltel phone store and suspended my contract. The longest suspension I was authorized to do was for 12 months. Their policy was that after the phone was suspended for the 12 months, the contract would expire and I would owe them nothing. But if I wanted to continue my service when I returned to the states, I would have to enter a new contract. So, I did the suspension. With the military, you never know when you could be put on orders to return to the states.
Six months after I left for Germany, Verizon Wireless bought out Alltel in Georgia. Apparently, Verizon refused to acknowledge that I suspended my service due to military orders. All of this took place in 2009. Yesterday, I received a collection notice on behalf of Verizon Wireless stating that I owed them $1,457.93 from 2013. I called the collection agency and informed them that I never had Verizon services. They stated that Verizon took over Alltel. I then informed them that I haven't had Alltel/Verizon since 2009 and that my military orders excused me from the contract. They said that since they did not take over the account until 2013 and stated they are not required to honor an agreement made between me and Alltel. I asked why they took 3 years to contact me. They stated they couldn't find me until now. I told them I would get back to them.
Here are my questions:
1) Which state do I use to measure the statute of limitations, Texas or Georgia?
2) Am I required to pay them anything?
3) Can I just send them a copy of the orders that excused me from the contract and the suspension I signed when the account was managed by Alltel?
I was in the military form 2008-2012. My home of residence has always been Texas. While stationed at Fort Stewart, Georgia I entered a phone contract with Alltel. A few months later I was placed on orders to move to Germany for two years. At this point, I had completed 7 months of my two year phone contract. I took my orders to my the local Alltel phone store and suspended my contract. The longest suspension I was authorized to do was for 12 months. Their policy was that after the phone was suspended for the 12 months, the contract would expire and I would owe them nothing. But if I wanted to continue my service when I returned to the states, I would have to enter a new contract. So, I did the suspension. With the military, you never know when you could be put on orders to return to the states.
Six months after I left for Germany, Verizon Wireless bought out Alltel in Georgia. Apparently, Verizon refused to acknowledge that I suspended my service due to military orders. All of this took place in 2009. Yesterday, I received a collection notice on behalf of Verizon Wireless stating that I owed them $1,457.93 from 2013. I called the collection agency and informed them that I never had Verizon services. They stated that Verizon took over Alltel. I then informed them that I haven't had Alltel/Verizon since 2009 and that my military orders excused me from the contract. They said that since they did not take over the account until 2013 and stated they are not required to honor an agreement made between me and Alltel. I asked why they took 3 years to contact me. They stated they couldn't find me until now. I told them I would get back to them.
Here are my questions:
1) Which state do I use to measure the statute of limitations, Texas or Georgia?
2) Am I required to pay them anything?
3) Can I just send them a copy of the orders that excused me from the contract and the suspension I signed when the account was managed by Alltel?
Debt Collectors: Military Orders Not Honored to Suspend Phone Contract
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire