mercredi 15 août 2018

Medical Malpractice: Haldol Injection in Er

My question involves malpractice in the state of: Connecticut

I was taken to the ER because my mom thought I may be suicidal. I was intoxicated on alcohol. I shouted, made it clear I wanted out, etc. They moved me from what seemed like the general-drunk people area to "Purple Pod". There I was further restrained and injected with Ativan and Haldol. My issue is about the use of Haldol. Haldol is generally used to treat psychosis, which I was not experiencing. I've seen some references to it being used to treat agitation, but when I researched further, everything I could find related to agitation presenting with psychosis. When a psychiatric doctor met with me the next day. I mentioned my concern with being injected with Haldol, as I know it is a first-generation anti-psychotic, and is not used as widely as it has been in the past, because it can result in some nasty side-effects such as tardive dyskinesia and pill-rolling behaviors. The psychiatric doctor dismissive of my concerns told me that that only happens over a period of time. I’ve also seen some information that alcohol intoxication contra-indicates the use of Haldol. Haldol can also be very bad for people with Parkinson’s, which my grandfather has. Haldol use in those with Alzheimer’s results in an increased mortality rate. Today my grandmother died of Alzheimer’s. Also, after getting out of the ER, I’ve been experiencing difficulty getting to sleep, due to anxiety about being taken from my home and back into a psychiatric unit as I was. I mention this, because I can’t help but wonder whether I was experiencing rebound paranoia from the dose of Haldol, which I don’t think I should have received.


Medical Malpractice: Haldol Injection in Er

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire