mardi 17 juillet 2018

Copyright Law: Starting a Youtube Channel That Uses Possibly Copyrighted Material

I'm in the process of creating a YouTube channel featuring videos teaching how to recognize countries of the world on a map using mnemonics and visual images. I had a friend draw images of what each country outline looks like, and I use those drawings along with Photoshop to create a weird and funny story involving the images. I had two questions about the legality of my plan however.

1. The story in my YouTube video contains possibly copyrighted images. I would Google images like trees, animals, and other objects and Photoshop the images together with the drawings to create the picture I want. Does fair use allow me to use publicly accessible images to create my own content?

2. A few of the hundreds of drawings that my friend made are of popular cartoon characters and recognizable objects, etc. Although the drawings are original content, would it be violating any copyright law to show depictions of those characters in a YouTube video?

Also, if the YouTube channel was ever monetized, or I made an app or book in the future, what details would need to be changed for me to avoid getting in any sort of trouble? Would I need to have everything drawn by hand to avoid infringing on copyrights, or would I not even be able to show depictions of copyrighted material at all?

I've done some reading on fair use attribution but am unsure what is and isn't allowed exactly. From what I understand a lot of fan fiction/artwork violates copyright law but often companies don't enforce or care about it. As of now I'm only creating free content to share online, but I would like to make a profit from my ideas at some point but don't want to get sued. Any help with helping me figure out what is or isn't allowed would be very much appreciated.


Copyright Law: Starting a Youtube Channel That Uses Possibly Copyrighted Material

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire