vendredi 16 février 2018

Unlawful Use of License Plate/Registration/Title - What Happens at Court

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Michigan

I was pulled over as a headlamp was out on my car. Officer ran my plates and couldn't find the plate, though the car vin was in the system. Car is insured. While it's not a legal defense, I'm an ADHD individual. I usually require reminders. As it goes, the license plate tag on the car had expired in July '14. If I received a renewal notice (and I'm sure I did, I have no reason to believe otherwise), it slipped past me. The car has always been insured. I guess I also did not understand the officer - I was certain he said I had ten days to get it squared away and then show the license plate to an officer and he would sign off on the back and I would give that to the court on the envelope. So I went to the Sec. of State, explained all, they simply issued a new license plate and registration. I went to show an officer and he said, no, it's not marked waivable, so I must appear in court now.

I can't believe I imagined the instructions of the officer? Do I contact him and ask if he marked the ticket incorrectly?

Regardless, I have never been to court in my life. Totally clean record. I'm a church organist for pete's sake. I have no idea what to expect. How do I present myself? Should I have a lawyer? Should I simply plead guilty and then keep my mouth shut?

How does this reflect on my record?

Here is the law in question: It is being charged as a misdemeanor.
(1) A person shall not lend to another person, or knowingly permit the use of, any certificate of title, registration certificate, registration plate, special plate, or permit issued to him or her if the person receiving or using the certificate of title, registration certificate, registration plate, special plate, or permit would not be entitled to the use thereof. A person shall not carry or display upon a vehicle any registration certificate or registration plate not issued for the vehicle or not otherwise lawfully used under this act.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or by a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

(3) A person who displays upon a commercial vehicle which is required to be registered according to the schedule of elected gross vehicle weights under section 801(1)(k) any registration plate not issued for the vehicle or not otherwise lawfully used under this act is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or by a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.


Many thanks for your help in this matter-


Unlawful Use of License Plate/Registration/Title - What Happens at Court

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire