vendredi 22 septembre 2017

Sick Time, and My Legal Rights

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Connecticut

Hello. I want advice on a brief scenario.

I am a physician assistant, and work for a small medical group within a large hospital. My wife is pregnant with our first child, and her 20 week visit (gender confirmation, ultra sound, genetic test results, exam, etc) is today.

1. I notified my supervisor (a doctor) of this 4 weeks ago. He approved me for 3 hours off to go to the appointment.
2. Our nurse practitioner has called out sick every single day this week, including today!
3. The doctor calls me less than 24 hours before my wife's appointment and says "Sorry, I can no longer give you that time off. The best I can do is give you 45 minutes, and they you have to leave the appointment and go to cover the clinic."
4. I was so annoyed I called him back to argue this issue in a respectful way. I was told he could "compromise with me, and give me 90 minutes, but nothing more." I essentially told him that my family comes first, and if I am late returning to the clinic then he can try to file a disciplinary action with the hospital.
5. He asked if I can reschedule. We leave town for a week starting tomorrow, there is no possible way to reschedule the appointment.


My questions are... after approving this a month in advance, can he legally tell me I can no longer have that time less than 24 hours before the appointment?

What if I had a colonoscopy or some kind of medical appointment for myself? Can he just cancel them anytime he wants, even after giving me prior approval?


I have worked for the hospital 3.5 years, have never called out sick a single time, and have over 200 hours of "sick time" that I am entitled to use.


Sick Time, and My Legal Rights

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire