My question involves paternity law for the State of: California
I was contacted by a 27 year old young lady who thinks she might be my daughter. She is married with two kids and in all these years I was never contacted by anyone regarding this matter. She submitted her DNA on Ancestry.com and matched with my father who had also submitted his DNA. The match is "extremely high" 1684 centimorgans which puts him in consideration as grandfather. I have since been contacted by her and was about to do a DNA home kit test, but before I do I have a few questions. I am open to knowing, but want to protect myself and family. I was 21 at the time and the mother would have been 18 at the time of conception. They have both sent me their info and I also did a background check. So everything is verified. If proven that I'm her biological father is there any recourse for back paternity? I read that in California the mother would have 3 years after her 18th birthday to file a legal recourse. I'm interpreting this correctly it's about 6 years past the statute of limitations for financial recourse. Am I correct? Is there anything else I may be missing? Just want to get this legal part out of the way so I can be open to the fact that I have may have a 27 year old daughter.
Thanks
I was contacted by a 27 year old young lady who thinks she might be my daughter. She is married with two kids and in all these years I was never contacted by anyone regarding this matter. She submitted her DNA on Ancestry.com and matched with my father who had also submitted his DNA. The match is "extremely high" 1684 centimorgans which puts him in consideration as grandfather. I have since been contacted by her and was about to do a DNA home kit test, but before I do I have a few questions. I am open to knowing, but want to protect myself and family. I was 21 at the time and the mother would have been 18 at the time of conception. They have both sent me their info and I also did a background check. So everything is verified. If proven that I'm her biological father is there any recourse for back paternity? I read that in California the mother would have 3 years after her 18th birthday to file a legal recourse. I'm interpreting this correctly it's about 6 years past the statute of limitations for financial recourse. Am I correct? Is there anything else I may be missing? Just want to get this legal part out of the way so I can be open to the fact that I have may have a 27 year old daughter.
Thanks
Presumption of Paternity: DNA Test and Statute of Limitations on Paternity
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire