I'll try my best to include all the details of the event. I am turning left and was hit by someone turning right after completing my turn (since I'm turning left am I still most likely at fault?). Anyway, she bumps the rear passenger side of my car at low speed so I thought the damage wouldn't be too bad. This happened at a busy intersection during morning rush hour and I didn't see if she stopped after the collision (I learned that she did). The damage to my car wasn't too bad, ($1,000) and the damage to her car was even less. There were no injuries in the accident. I am 18 years old and this is my first accident or offense of any kind. When I got to school the next day I was called down to the office to make a statement and the school resource officer informed me that she filed a police report. He said I committed a Class B Misdemeanor and could be arrested for it, but he wasn't going to fill out a warrant. My family and I called her that afternoon and exchanged insurance information and I gave another statement. She said she filed a police report for the sake of insurance, and had no intention of an investigation. Yesterday (five days after the accident) I got a letter from the police saying I needed to schedule an appointment to visit the station for questioning, and failure to do so would result in a warrant for my arrest. Needless to say, I complied and have an appointment scheduled. My question is, what can I expect to happen? I completely terrified and haven't been able to do anything because I'm so worried. I read that a class b misdemeanor is punishable by up to 180 days in prison. My parents told me that wouldn't happen and that this would be settled between insurance companies. However, the letter changed everything. Will this go to court? What sort of punishment can I expect? Do I need a lawyer? Thanks for any advice
Hit-and-Run Accidents: I Messed Up.big Time. What Can I Expect
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire