lundi 2 mai 2016

Medical Malpractice: Delay in Surgery for Acute Appendicitis

My question involves malpractice in the state of: Mississippi

I wentered to the ER at 4pm and was instantly given morphine for pain and Zofran for nausea while waiting for tests. Wbc was high at 28, no fever, and after CT with contrast, er dr said it's your appendix and it has to come out. Surgeons intern came in and said we will do surgery tomorrow morning and admitting and I asked why wait and he said we are short staffed and need to give you fluids and antibiotics so that it doesn't rupture while we are doing surgery. I asked what signs are of rupture and he said high fever and excruciating pain. Gave another round of morphine and zophran. Got to room by 8pm and nurse checked vitals and I had temp of 100.8 and she told intern. Nothing done. At 1130pm I awoke to hideous pain (this is when it ruptured apparently) and from then until 430am they couldn't control my pain or fever. Nurse called surgeon 3 times to report the changes and that something was wrong and only resulted in them adding 2 norco pills to the morphine. Surgeon performed a scheduled surgery on someone else at 7am and finally got me at 930am and said it would only take 1hr..3hrs later it was over. Told husband that it had ruptured and they had to do major clean up of bowels with pockets of abscess and it had fragmented all over and hoped he got all of it. 5 days in hospital and discharged with antibiotics and pain meds. 5days later major pain under ribs and in surgery area and called surgeon and he said that's gas. Next day was in er with possible blood clot that was diagnosed as plueresy and beginning pneumonia from not being able to take deep breaths from pain. Finally mending now a week later. They obviously deviated from the standard of care bc they were short staffed and said they didn't want to call everyone in to do surgery. Everywhere I read an appendectomy is always classified as emergency surgery and is done asap to prevent rupture which them becomes life threatening due to infection etc. They could've operated that night and gotten it out before rupture but chose not to for staffing reasons causing me 5 days of hospital stay, misery, pain and an additional hospital visit and I'm told I'm not out of the woods yet bc infection can pop back up. Do I have a case?


Medical Malpractice: Delay in Surgery for Acute Appendicitis

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire