My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: New York, Albany County
In 2013 I decided to apply for grad school and requested my transcript from SUNY and found out there was a hold. After multiple inquiries over several months, found out that I had a judgment that was obtained against me in New York in 1994 for $4,271.47 for a student loan in 84-88 for $2,623.00. According to the Student Loan Center (SLC), this amount is now $11,694.66.
I then advised the Student Loan Center in NY and the Office of Attorney General in Albany County that the judgment was obtained in error because I was never served for this lawsuit in1994 at the address they had listed for me in NY as I was in fact a resident of Florida since 1989.
I also advised them that when my parents sold a property in 1990 in NY, the Federal Student Loan program had served me in Florida for a lien on the property sale for my student loans. So, it was known that from 1989, I was in Florida. At that time, the lien was satisfied and I and my parents thought all my student loan debt was satisfied.
If they had served me in 1994, I would have immediately filed for Student Loan Forgiveness because at that time I met the criteria for forgiveness because I was employed in the social services as a child support enforcement worker.
The Office of Attorney General in Albany, NY says that I need to get an attorney in Albany County to have the judgment vacated.
My questions are: 1)I have not been able to get an attorney in Albany County NY to even return a call, how hard will it be for me to file to vacate this judgment on my own ? and 2) I have requested that the Office of Attorney General in Albany County NY send me the copy of the notice of lawsuit they say they served me in 1994 and as of this date, I have not received it. Can I request a copy of the service from anywhere else in Albany County?
Thank you for your advice in advance!
In 2013 I decided to apply for grad school and requested my transcript from SUNY and found out there was a hold. After multiple inquiries over several months, found out that I had a judgment that was obtained against me in New York in 1994 for $4,271.47 for a student loan in 84-88 for $2,623.00. According to the Student Loan Center (SLC), this amount is now $11,694.66.
I then advised the Student Loan Center in NY and the Office of Attorney General in Albany County that the judgment was obtained in error because I was never served for this lawsuit in1994 at the address they had listed for me in NY as I was in fact a resident of Florida since 1989.
I also advised them that when my parents sold a property in 1990 in NY, the Federal Student Loan program had served me in Florida for a lien on the property sale for my student loans. So, it was known that from 1989, I was in Florida. At that time, the lien was satisfied and I and my parents thought all my student loan debt was satisfied.
If they had served me in 1994, I would have immediately filed for Student Loan Forgiveness because at that time I met the criteria for forgiveness because I was employed in the social services as a child support enforcement worker.
The Office of Attorney General in Albany, NY says that I need to get an attorney in Albany County to have the judgment vacated.
My questions are: 1)I have not been able to get an attorney in Albany County NY to even return a call, how hard will it be for me to file to vacate this judgment on my own ? and 2) I have requested that the Office of Attorney General in Albany County NY send me the copy of the notice of lawsuit they say they served me in 1994 and as of this date, I have not received it. Can I request a copy of the service from anywhere else in Albany County?
Thank you for your advice in advance!
Disputing Debts: Vacating Student Loan Judgement for Non-Service
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire